Office 365: Fixing Directory Synchronization (Issue #2)

In the previous blog post, I walked through how we upgraded from the Preview Azure AD Connect to the release version of Azure AD Connect in the attempts of fixing the directory synchronization issue. I thought that we had solved it until I got another e-mail from Office 365 stating that Directory Synchronization was unhealthy. I checked the Office 365 portal and noticed again that directory synchronization had not occurred in the last 70 hours.

p1

[Note: In this blog post, I refer to troubleshooting steps that I explain in the previous blog post. Please refer back to that post to get the more details].

I loaded up the Directory Synchronization tool (miisclient.exe) and noticed that synchronization had not been running since the date/time that I had installed the tool (back on 10/19).

p2

I checked the Scheduled Tasks and noticed that the DirSync task should have run today (10/22).

p3

I ran a manual full sync using the command: DirectorySyncClientCmd.exe initial

p4

I looked at the logs and noticed that the synchronization worked.

p5

I checked the portal and noticed that Office 365 registered the synchronization.

p6

It appears that the default scheduled task that was created by the Azure AD Connect installer is not working or doesn’t have the appropriate rights. So, we created a new scheduled task to run the Directory Synchronization task.

Launch the Task Scheduler and on the right, select Create task. Specify a name and give a description to alert others what the task is for.   Selected “Run whether user is logged on or not” and checked “Run with highest privileges

p7

Go to the Triggers tab. I selected New and configured the Trigger to run every “3 hours” (need to type it in) and run for a duration of “Indefinitely

p8

Go to the Actions tab. I selected New and selected Browse and browsed to the DirectorySyncClientCmd.exe

p9

Pressed ok to save the task I needed to specify the account that will perform the directory synchronization.

I then disabled the original task that was created by the Azure AD Connect installer since it wasn’t working.

p10

Then I ran the new task that I created

p11

I went to the MIISClient and confirmed that the sync job was running:

p12

I checked it later and it was still running happily.   I’ll let everyone know if I encounter another problem.

 

 

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Office 365, Technology and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s