Exchange 2013 offers some amazing new Legal Hold capabilities over Exchange 2010. In Exchange 2010, legal hold was a binary switch (legal hold on or off) for a user. Exchange 2013 adds capabilities such as:
- Time based hold: Allows you to put items on hold for a specific period of time (e.g. 7 years)
- Query based hold: Allows you to put items on hold based upon a query
- A user can have multiple holds if they are involved in multiple cases.
For more information on Exchange In-place hold and the usage scenarios, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff637980(v=exchg.150).aspx
A question came up from a customer who has been using a 3rd party archiving solution, so they asked with the new Exchange online archiving and in-place hold mechanism, can you put only the online archive on hold.
In Exchange 2013, the in-place hold policies are at the mailbox level. The policies apply to both the inbox and the archive. In most scenarios, you want to retain message for a pre-determined length of time regardless of where they are stored.
The process to enable in-place hold are:
- Go to the Office 365 Exchange Admin Center.
- Login to your Office 365 portal (https://portal.microsoftonline.com)
- In the upper right, select Exchange under the Admin dropdown window.
- In the Exchange Admin Center, select “Compliance Management” item on the left.
- Select “in-place E-Discovery and Hold”
- Select “+” to create a new hold policy
- Give the policy a name and select “Next”
- Specify the mailboxes to put on hold. Please note that if you select all mailboxes, then you won’t be able to enable a time-based hold in the web UI. This will need to be done in Powershell.
- The following screen enables the “query-based” aspects of the hold. You can specify what messages to put on hold.
- On the following screen, you can specify how long you want to hold the messages. This is the “time based” hold. Note, that initially this option was greyed out since I selected all mailboxes. I went back and selected a couple mailboxes and then this option became active.
- The system will create the hold and give you some statistics about the hold in the status window.