In this post, we’ll walkthrough the build of a Lync 2013 Edge Server. The Edge Server provides the following capabilities:
- External access from the Internet to the Lync capabilities for your users.
- Federation with other companies running Office Communications Server or Lync so that you can do Lync capabilities with other companies running these technologies.
- Federation with users on public IM clouds (e.g. AOL).
- Federation with users on XMPP clouds (e.g. GoogleTalk).
- Access to web conferences from external users. Lync provides web conferencing and allows participants to join who aren’t even on Lync. They can join via a new Lync web access (LWA) client.
Below is a sample picture of a Lync edge architecture:
I documented the Lync 2013 Edge Server build in the attached document: Step By Step to Building Lync 2013 Edge